Lettuce is said to be one of the healthiest and perfect foods for weight loss. Lettuce comes in many varieties: Romaine, Chinese, Crisphead, butterhead, and summer crisp. The green leafy vegetable contains many benefits for human health.
In this article, we will talk about the nutritional value and benefits of lettuce. Keep reading to find out.
Nutritional Value of Lettuce
Lettuce is full of important nutrients beneficial for human health. Have a look:
- Vitamin C: It helps in supporting the immune system. Being high in antioxidants, it keeps bones and teeth strong.
- Calcium helps in the healthy development of bones and muscles, nerve functioning, and blood clotting.
- Vitamin K again is necessary for blood clotting. It also prevents bone mineral loss and fractures caused due to osteoporosis.
- Vitamin A supports cell growth and reproductive health. It is also important to maintain the health of the eyes, heart, kidneys, and lungs.
- Folate to support cell division, production of DNA, and genetic material.
- Phosphorus works with calcium to support healthy bones and teeth.
- Magnesium relaxes the muscles and promotes the functioning of enzymes.
- Potassium regulates the negative impact of sodium on your body and support nerve function. It also helps in the normal contraction of your muscles.
Read Also: Everything You Need To Know About Lettuce
Benefits of Lettuce
- Whole life food:
Lettuce is mostly consumed raw which means you can get more micronutrients from it that would be dissolved upon cooking. Just make sure to wash the leaves thoroughly to get rid of any chemicals or bacteria.
- Excellent for your heart:
Lettuce is considered to be one of the healthiest foods you can consume. Being a good source of Vitamin C and beta-carotene, it helps to lower blood pressure, combats any plaque build-up in the heart, and also minimizes the risk of certain heart diseases.
- Promotes weight loss:
This green leafy vegetable contains a high amount of fiber which is important for healthy digestion and weight loss. Since lettuce is very filling, it eliminates the chance of any hunger urge at midnight.
- Has low-calorie content:
One cup of chopped lettuce contains 15 calories and zero fat. The low-calorie content makes lettuce an ideal snack option to munch anytime you feel hungry.
- Helps to fight insomnia:
A bowl of lettuce can help you sleep much easier at night. Lettuce contains Niacin which helps in the synthesis of serotonin to enhance sleep and dream.
- Is a great source of protein:
Lettuce is 20% protein which is ideal for repairing damaged muscle tissues and for preventing inflammation. Increase the intake of protein by adding lettuce to your diet.
- Has low Glycemic index:
Lettuce contains GI lower than 15 and foods that have lower GI can reduce the risk of Type 2 Diabetes, stroke, cardiovascular diseases, and more. Therefore, you definitely should add lettuce to your diet.
- Rich in taste:
The crispy and juicy nature of Lettuce makes it a refreshing snack during hot summer days or when you are feeling dehydrated. Lettuce can be added to salad, chicken, turkey, and other vegetables to enhance the taste.
- Contains Omega-3:
Lettuce contains omega 3 and omega 6 in the ratio of 1:2 which helps to fight many diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, Alzheimer’s, and asthma. Omega 3 is also responsible for a healthy heart condition.
The alkaline present in lettuce help to remove toxins, sharpen memory, cleanse your pores and enhance and boost your energy.
Organic farming was introduced as a response to the intensive use of fertilizers and pesticides leading to environmental degradation. Owing to this constant exposure of the farm produce to pesticides, the quality and taste were compromised. Encouraged by an instinct to ensure the wellbeing of every single being on the planet, we begin GFO.